When most people decide on a site concept and research its keywords, they rush off to register a domain name as quickly as possible.
They have no idea how big of a mistake they’re making. Later, most of these people regret making such a rushed decision.
Luckily, however, you won’t be one of these people. I’m going tell you everything you need to know to find a good domain name and register it at a reliable hosting company. I’ll help you avoid the most common mistakes and stay totally safe.
I know this is a very exiting period. After all, registering the domain name of your website is a huge commitment.
It’s a bit like marriage. You’ll be stuck with your choice for several years. You don’t want to make any mistakes.
So without further ado, let’s get to the point!
Best Tips to Find Good Domain Names
1. Include Keywords
If you want to find a good domain name, make sure you include your niche’s main keyword in
the domain name. It can give you a huge boost in search engine optimization. As a result,
you’ll get higher Google rankings, more traffic and more customers.
Let’s continue our „scuba diving” niche example. If I wanted to find a good domain name,
I’d make sure to include scuba diving in it in one shape or form.
Good examples (containing the main keyword):
ScubaDivingSite.com
MyScubaDiving.com
eScubaDiving.com
Bad examples (not containing the main keyword):
DivingSite.com
MyScubaSite.com
eDiving.com
2. Keep It Short
To find a good domain name, it’s also very important to keep it as short as possible.
Generally, you don’t want it to be longer than 3 words. Long domain names look less
professional.
Good Examples (domain names shorter than 4 words):
MyScubaDiving.com
ScubaDivingHQ.com
iScuabDiving.com
Bad Examples (Domain Names Longer Than 3 Words):
MyScubaDivingSite.com
TheBestScubaDivingPlace.com
LetMeRambleOnAboutScubaDiving.com
3. Make It Memorable
Similarly to the above point, to find a good domain name you want it to be short and
memorable. It’s important if you want people to be able to go straight to your website. If
people can’t remember your domain name easily, you can lose a ton of potential customers
because they can’t find your site again.
Good Examples (memorable domain names):
ScubaDivingAdvice.com
ScubaDivingTips.com
ScuabDivingHQ.com
Bad Examples (Complicated Domain Names):
ScubaDivingTipsAndAdvice.com
ScuabaDivingResourcesAndTools.com
ScubaDivingAndOtherTopics.com
4. Avoid Confusing Spellings
You want to find a good domain name that has only one possible spelling format. That’s why it’s a bad idea to use „z” or „y” in domain names. If your site is VideoGamez.com for example,
people might confuse it with VideoGames.com and you can lose some customers forever.
Good Examples (Domain Names With One Spelling):
ScubaDivingTips.com
LearnScubaDiving.com
ScubaDivingResource.com
Bad Examples (Domain Names With Multiple Spellings)
ScubaDivingIdeaz.com
ScubaDivingRulez.com
yScubaDiving.com (some may think it’s iScubaDiving.com)
5. Include Your USP
Ideally, your domain name should contain your unique selling proposition. A USP is crucial to
find a good domain name.
You want people to be able to tell what your site is about without actually visiting it. You can
achieve it only by having a descriptive domain name. For example, if your site gives tons of
advice and tips about your niche, YourKeywordAdvice.com or YourKeywordTips.com would be
great domain names.
Good Examples (Domain Names With Clear USPs):
ScubaDivingTips.com
ScubaDivingAdvice.com
ScubaDivingInfo.com
Bad Examples (Domain Names with Unclear USPs):
BestScubaDiving.com
HotScubaDiving.com
CrazyScubaDiving.com (unless your site focuses on crazy divers)
6. Avoid Numbers
To find a good domain name, don’t include any numbers in it, either as numerals or letters.
This can confuse people if they want to type your domain name from memory. If you must use numbers, make sure you buy both the numeral and letter versions of the domain, so that none
of your customers misses you.
Good Examples (Domain Names without Numbers):
SucaDivingTips.com
ScubaDivingHQ.com
LearnScubaDiving.com
Bad Examples (Domain Names with Numbers):
ScubaDiving101.com
Top10ScubaDiving.com
ScubaDiving777.com
7. Avoid Dashes or Hyphens
Avoid using dashes or hyphens in your domain name. Which is easier to remember?
Business-Online-Guidance.com or BusinessOnlineGuidance.com? As you can see, I made
this mistake myself.
However, I do own both the dashed and non-dashed versions. If you visit
BusinessOnlineGuidance.com, you’ll end up on my site as well. Feel free to try it yourself.
If you want to avoid this problem entirely, make sure you register a non-dash domain name.
Good Examples (Domain Names without Dashes):
ScubaDivingResource.com
iScubaDiving.com
ScubaDivingTips.com
Bad Examples (Domain Names with Dashes):
Scuba-Diving-Resource.com i-
Scuba-Diving.com
Scuba-Diving-Tips.com
8. Use Prefixes and Suffixes
Since most 1 and 2 word domain names are already taken, you’ll probably have to add either a prefix or suffix to yours. I’ve already shown you many examples.
Common prefixes: i, e, my, best, hot, the, x and whatever you can think of. Common suffixes: site, resources, tips, advice, HQ, center and so on. If you can register a 1 or 2 word domain name, great! Don’t let it go! However, most of the time you’ll have to go with a prefix or suffix. Just remember to add one that reflects your USP. Avoid the ones with general, meaningless values.
9. Use the .com Extension
The most common domain name extensions are .com, .org, .net, .info, .edu and .gov. You can’t register .edu or .gov domain names, but you’re free to register anything else.
Generally, I’d recommend you use a .com domain name. They all cost the same, and for most people .com domains are the most professional.
Don't Break the Law
It's not enough to just find a good domain name. It’s also important that you don’t register one that violates other trademarks or brands.
For example, you shouldn’t include facebook, twitter, google, yahoo or bing in your domain name.
In most cases, you’ll be penalized and requested to take down your site.
To make sure your domain doesn’t violate anyone’s intellectual property, visit these sites and research whether there are any trademarks or brands related to your idea.
http://tess2.uspto.gov
http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tm/t-find/t-find-text/
http://www.findownersearch.com/branddir.php
How to Check Domain Name Availability
Once you find a good domain name, you must check whether it's still available or not.
For example, if I wanted to research ScubaDivingResources.com, I’d go to Whois.com, enter scubadivingresources (without www or .com) into the box and check .com, .net and .org.
Unfortunately, only the .org version is still available. ScubaDivingResources.com has already been taken.
If I wanted a .com extension, I’d have to try searching another prefix or suffix.
Register Your Domain Name(s) ASAP
Once you choose a good domain name that’s still available, you have to register it as quickly as you can.
You don’t want domainers to take your best ideas from you. In fact, if you don’t want all your research to go to waste, I recommend you register your domain name right on the spot.
TIP: Ignore this advice at your own peril.
Initially, I wanted this site to be onlinebusinessessentials.com. I spent a lot of time researching to find this idea. However, I decided to wait before registering it for final.
Believe it or not, the next hour I sat down at my computer, it was already taken. I had to start all over again.
So to put it bluntly, don’t be cheap. A .com domain costs only $10 a year. So register your best ideas as soon as they come to you. What’s the worst that can happen? You won’t renew them in the future...
Which is The Best Domain and Web Hosting Provider?
With so many domain and web hosting companies out there, which one should you choose?
In my experience, BlueHost and HostGator are the best options. They have excellent features and even better customer support. Also, they both offer you one-click WordPress installation.
Whatever goes wrong, they’ll fix it as soon as you tell them.
I’ve never met a dissatisfied HostGator or BlueHost customer so far.
However, do stay away from GoDaddy.com. While some people like their service, I’ve heard
many people complaining about terrible customer support from their part.
It’s your choice really, you’re free to do whatever you want.
However, if you do decide to go with HostGator, I can give you my two coupon codes to save some money.
How to Register a Domain Step-by-Step
Here’s how to register a domain name at HostGator. I’m going to register
scubadivingadvisor.com to show you how it works.
Step 1:
Go to http://www.hostgator.com/shared and choose a hosting plan. Personally, I recommend the “Baby Plan” as it lets you host unlimited domains. You won’t have to pay for them separately. But again, feel free to go with the Hatchling Plan if that’s what you like better.
As long as you don’t choose the Business Plan you’ll be alright. That costs the most and you probably won’t need its features.
Step 2:
On the following page, you can enter your domain name plus my coupon codes to save either 25% or $9.95. Again...
Once you’re done, click “Continue to Step 2.”
Step 3:
Select a billing cycle, fill out your data, make sure your coupon was accepted and click “Create Account”.
Note that the longer billing cycle you choose, the more money you can save. If you choose 36 months, you can save as much as $71.
I leave it up to your choice. If it was me, I’d probably go with the 12 month option or the monthly one if I was more of a skeptic. (Nothing’s wrong with playing it safe.)
Once you clicked “Create Account”, your domain name was registered.
Step 4:
Check out the email you received from HostGator. It will look something like this:
Follow this e-mail to login to your billing account and see the details of your subscription and payments.
Step 5:
Your control panel is where you’ll manage your site from. For example, if you want to use WordPress to build your site, this is where you’ll be able to install it.
To login to your control panel (or cPanel), click on your Control Panel link in your welcome e-mail and use your username and password to login. You’ll be taken to the following screen:
Now you can start building your site.
Again, if you want to install WordPress, you can watch this video to see how to do it in less than 1 minute.
The Live Customer Support Can Save You from Frustration
Don’t worry if your domain name isn’t live within the first 5-48 hours. It may take that long for the “internet” to register it.
If you still can’t see it within 48 hours, you can contact the live HostGator support here.
They’ll tell you the solution in more minutes.
They have no idea how big of a mistake they’re making. Later, most of these people regret making such a rushed decision.
Luckily, however, you won’t be one of these people. I’m going tell you everything you need to know to find a good domain name and register it at a reliable hosting company. I’ll help you avoid the most common mistakes and stay totally safe.
I know this is a very exiting period. After all, registering the domain name of your website is a huge commitment.
It’s a bit like marriage. You’ll be stuck with your choice for several years. You don’t want to make any mistakes.
So without further ado, let’s get to the point!
Best Tips to Find Good Domain Names
1. Include Keywords
If you want to find a good domain name, make sure you include your niche’s main keyword in
the domain name. It can give you a huge boost in search engine optimization. As a result,
you’ll get higher Google rankings, more traffic and more customers.
Let’s continue our „scuba diving” niche example. If I wanted to find a good domain name,
I’d make sure to include scuba diving in it in one shape or form.
Good examples (containing the main keyword):
ScubaDivingSite.com
MyScubaDiving.com
eScubaDiving.com
Bad examples (not containing the main keyword):
DivingSite.com
MyScubaSite.com
eDiving.com
2. Keep It Short
To find a good domain name, it’s also very important to keep it as short as possible.
Generally, you don’t want it to be longer than 3 words. Long domain names look less
professional.
Good Examples (domain names shorter than 4 words):
MyScubaDiving.com
ScubaDivingHQ.com
iScuabDiving.com
Bad Examples (Domain Names Longer Than 3 Words):
MyScubaDivingSite.com
TheBestScubaDivingPlace.com
LetMeRambleOnAboutScubaDiving.com
3. Make It Memorable
Similarly to the above point, to find a good domain name you want it to be short and
memorable. It’s important if you want people to be able to go straight to your website. If
people can’t remember your domain name easily, you can lose a ton of potential customers
because they can’t find your site again.
Good Examples (memorable domain names):
ScubaDivingAdvice.com
ScubaDivingTips.com
ScuabDivingHQ.com
Bad Examples (Complicated Domain Names):
ScubaDivingTipsAndAdvice.com
ScuabaDivingResourcesAndTools.com
ScubaDivingAndOtherTopics.com
4. Avoid Confusing Spellings
You want to find a good domain name that has only one possible spelling format. That’s why it’s a bad idea to use „z” or „y” in domain names. If your site is VideoGamez.com for example,
people might confuse it with VideoGames.com and you can lose some customers forever.
Good Examples (Domain Names With One Spelling):
ScubaDivingTips.com
LearnScubaDiving.com
ScubaDivingResource.com
Bad Examples (Domain Names With Multiple Spellings)
ScubaDivingIdeaz.com
ScubaDivingRulez.com
yScubaDiving.com (some may think it’s iScubaDiving.com)
5. Include Your USP
Ideally, your domain name should contain your unique selling proposition. A USP is crucial to
find a good domain name.
You want people to be able to tell what your site is about without actually visiting it. You can
achieve it only by having a descriptive domain name. For example, if your site gives tons of
advice and tips about your niche, YourKeywordAdvice.com or YourKeywordTips.com would be
great domain names.
Good Examples (Domain Names With Clear USPs):
ScubaDivingTips.com
ScubaDivingAdvice.com
ScubaDivingInfo.com
Bad Examples (Domain Names with Unclear USPs):
BestScubaDiving.com
HotScubaDiving.com
CrazyScubaDiving.com (unless your site focuses on crazy divers)
6. Avoid Numbers
To find a good domain name, don’t include any numbers in it, either as numerals or letters.
This can confuse people if they want to type your domain name from memory. If you must use numbers, make sure you buy both the numeral and letter versions of the domain, so that none
of your customers misses you.
Good Examples (Domain Names without Numbers):
SucaDivingTips.com
ScubaDivingHQ.com
LearnScubaDiving.com
Bad Examples (Domain Names with Numbers):
ScubaDiving101.com
Top10ScubaDiving.com
ScubaDiving777.com
7. Avoid Dashes or Hyphens
Avoid using dashes or hyphens in your domain name. Which is easier to remember?
Business-Online-Guidance.com or BusinessOnlineGuidance.com? As you can see, I made
this mistake myself.
However, I do own both the dashed and non-dashed versions. If you visit
BusinessOnlineGuidance.com, you’ll end up on my site as well. Feel free to try it yourself.
If you want to avoid this problem entirely, make sure you register a non-dash domain name.
Good Examples (Domain Names without Dashes):
ScubaDivingResource.com
iScubaDiving.com
ScubaDivingTips.com
Bad Examples (Domain Names with Dashes):
Scuba-Diving-Resource.com i-
Scuba-Diving.com
Scuba-Diving-Tips.com
8. Use Prefixes and Suffixes
Since most 1 and 2 word domain names are already taken, you’ll probably have to add either a prefix or suffix to yours. I’ve already shown you many examples.
Common prefixes: i, e, my, best, hot, the, x and whatever you can think of. Common suffixes: site, resources, tips, advice, HQ, center and so on. If you can register a 1 or 2 word domain name, great! Don’t let it go! However, most of the time you’ll have to go with a prefix or suffix. Just remember to add one that reflects your USP. Avoid the ones with general, meaningless values.
9. Use the .com Extension
The most common domain name extensions are .com, .org, .net, .info, .edu and .gov. You can’t register .edu or .gov domain names, but you’re free to register anything else.
Generally, I’d recommend you use a .com domain name. They all cost the same, and for most people .com domains are the most professional.
Don't Break the Law
It's not enough to just find a good domain name. It’s also important that you don’t register one that violates other trademarks or brands.
For example, you shouldn’t include facebook, twitter, google, yahoo or bing in your domain name.
In most cases, you’ll be penalized and requested to take down your site.
To make sure your domain doesn’t violate anyone’s intellectual property, visit these sites and research whether there are any trademarks or brands related to your idea.
http://tess2.uspto.gov
http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tm/t-find/t-find-text/
http://www.findownersearch.com/branddir.php
How to Check Domain Name Availability
Once you find a good domain name, you must check whether it's still available or not.
For example, if I wanted to research ScubaDivingResources.com, I’d go to Whois.com, enter scubadivingresources (without www or .com) into the box and check .com, .net and .org.
Unfortunately, only the .org version is still available. ScubaDivingResources.com has already been taken.
If I wanted a .com extension, I’d have to try searching another prefix or suffix.
Register Your Domain Name(s) ASAP
Once you choose a good domain name that’s still available, you have to register it as quickly as you can.
You don’t want domainers to take your best ideas from you. In fact, if you don’t want all your research to go to waste, I recommend you register your domain name right on the spot.
TIP: Ignore this advice at your own peril.
Initially, I wanted this site to be onlinebusinessessentials.com. I spent a lot of time researching to find this idea. However, I decided to wait before registering it for final.
Believe it or not, the next hour I sat down at my computer, it was already taken. I had to start all over again.
So to put it bluntly, don’t be cheap. A .com domain costs only $10 a year. So register your best ideas as soon as they come to you. What’s the worst that can happen? You won’t renew them in the future...
Which is The Best Domain and Web Hosting Provider?
With so many domain and web hosting companies out there, which one should you choose?
In my experience, BlueHost and HostGator are the best options. They have excellent features and even better customer support. Also, they both offer you one-click WordPress installation.
Whatever goes wrong, they’ll fix it as soon as you tell them.
I’ve never met a dissatisfied HostGator or BlueHost customer so far.
However, do stay away from GoDaddy.com. While some people like their service, I’ve heard
many people complaining about terrible customer support from their part.
It’s your choice really, you’re free to do whatever you want.
However, if you do decide to go with HostGator, I can give you my two coupon codes to save some money.
How to Register a Domain Step-by-Step
Here’s how to register a domain name at HostGator. I’m going to register
scubadivingadvisor.com to show you how it works.
Step 1:
Go to http://www.hostgator.com/shared and choose a hosting plan. Personally, I recommend the “Baby Plan” as it lets you host unlimited domains. You won’t have to pay for them separately. But again, feel free to go with the Hatchling Plan if that’s what you like better.
As long as you don’t choose the Business Plan you’ll be alright. That costs the most and you probably won’t need its features.
Step 2:
On the following page, you can enter your domain name plus my coupon codes to save either 25% or $9.95. Again...
Once you’re done, click “Continue to Step 2.”
Step 3:
Select a billing cycle, fill out your data, make sure your coupon was accepted and click “Create Account”.
Note that the longer billing cycle you choose, the more money you can save. If you choose 36 months, you can save as much as $71.
I leave it up to your choice. If it was me, I’d probably go with the 12 month option or the monthly one if I was more of a skeptic. (Nothing’s wrong with playing it safe.)
Once you clicked “Create Account”, your domain name was registered.
Step 4:
Check out the email you received from HostGator. It will look something like this:
Follow this e-mail to login to your billing account and see the details of your subscription and payments.
Step 5:
Your control panel is where you’ll manage your site from. For example, if you want to use WordPress to build your site, this is where you’ll be able to install it.
To login to your control panel (or cPanel), click on your Control Panel link in your welcome e-mail and use your username and password to login. You’ll be taken to the following screen:
Now you can start building your site.
Again, if you want to install WordPress, you can watch this video to see how to do it in less than 1 minute.
The Live Customer Support Can Save You from Frustration
Don’t worry if your domain name isn’t live within the first 5-48 hours. It may take that long for the “internet” to register it.
If you still can’t see it within 48 hours, you can contact the live HostGator support here.
They’ll tell you the solution in more minutes.





No comments:
Post a Comment